Most Recent
7-Eleven class action trial delayed due to coronavirus
The parties in two class actions against 7-Eleven brought on behalf of franchisees have agreed to delay an upcoming hearing by ten months, due to challenges with discovery, evidence and witness statements resulting from coronavirus-related restrictions.
Judge calls for legislative fix in wake of High Court’s common fund ruling
Lamenting that he now has less flexibility to manage commission rates, a judge has called for legislative intervention to give courts authority to regulate funding arrangements at the outset of class actions, a power stripped from them by the High Court late last year.
Citing coronavirus, judge orders limited discovery in ANZ, Westpac ‘junk’ insurance class actions
Noting the challenge of searching for documentary evidence while employees are working from home, a judge overseeing two consumer class actions against ANZ and Westpac has directed the banks to hand over only a limited number of documents to the applicants, and given them extra time to do it.
Judge approves Bellamy’s $49.7M settlement of shareholder class actions
A judge has given his blessing to a $49.7 million settlement of two class actions that alleged infant food maker Bellamy's misled investors about its China growth strategy and declining market share in Australia.
Class action alleges 7-Eleven made franchisees use Metcash-owned vendor
A class action brought against 7-Eleven claims the convenience store chain ordered franchisees to purchase goods from supplier C-Store so that 7-Eleven could meet its obligation under a contract with the Metcash-owned supplier.
Judge says High Court did not rule out common fund orders at settlement
The High Court's ruling Wednesday that judges have no power to issue a common fund order in the initial phases of a class action does not bind them after a settlement has been reached, a Federal Court judge said Friday.
Funder appeals ruling over security in Fair Work class actions
Litigation funder Augusta Ventures has brought its promised appeal of a groundbreaking ruling that put it on the hook for paying security for costs in an employment class action over the classification of casual mine workers.